The Elks Theatre was built in downtown Pulaski in 1911. The theatre hosted vaudeville shows, traveling companies and early silent films. In 1922, the Elks Theatre closed and the building was converted into the Dix-Richardson Dry Goods Store.
After serving the community as a dry goods store for fifteen years, the building returned to an entertainment venue in 1937 when it was leased to Neighborhood Theater, Inc. of Richmond, Virginia. The building was renovated and opened on November 11, 1937 as the Pulaski Theatre, a motion picture house. Pulaski Theatre thrived for several decades before the attendance began dropping and the theatre was closed in 1991, ceasing operation.
Once Pulaski Theatre closed to the public, the property began to deteriorate and fell into disrepair. On February 11, 1992 the Miller family gave the building to the county. When the county began to talk of demolishing the old theatre building to make way for a parking lot, the Friends of the Theatre group was formed. The Friends incorporated in 1993, and began the effort to save the theatre and renovate the building.
During the past few years, major renovation construction has been completed on the building and the theatre has reopened to the public. Current programming includes concerts, live stage performances, children’s events and more!